Skip to main content

South Africa alliance slam banks' Gupta bullying

by James Tweedie

The wealthy Gupta family sought meetings on Tuesday with South African banks that have boycotted their business group, jeopardising thousands of jobs.

Since last week banks  Absa, FNB, Nedbank and Sasfin and auditing transnational KPMG have all cut off business relations with Gupta companies Oakbay, Sahara Holdings and TNA in an unprecedented boycott over their alleged relationship with the ruling African National Congress (ANC).

The banks' move also coincided with oppositions parties' failed attempt at regime change through a parliamentary impeachment motion against President Jacob Zuma.

Oakbay Investments CEO Nazeem Howa said he hoped to reopen accounts with at least one bank following the meetings.

"We will start setting up meetings with banks on Tuesday to try and restore those relations because the lives of 7,500 employees are at stake," Mr Howa told Reuters.

The Indian-South African family came under fire earlier this year from sections of South Africa's national liberation alliance of the ANC, Congress of South African Trade Unions (Cosatu) and South African Communist Party (SACP).

The key National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) and the SACP raised concerns at an ANC “lekgotla” (assembly) over rumours that the government was intervening on behalf of the Guptas to help them buy up flagging mine companies.

On Monday Cosatu demanded answers form the banks after the Guptas' group of companies met with the federation to discuss the looming redundancies. 

While expressing little sympathy for the big-business family, Cosatu spokesman Sizwe Pamla reminded bankers of the legal principle of innocence until proven guilty.  

The SACP was also scathing of the banks. Spokesman Alex Mashilo said: “Acting together with an imperialist monopoly KPMG, the private banking monopoly has shown its dangerous and collusive market conduct against one of their private mould.”

In March the Guptas faced allegations of “state capture,” with businessman Johann Rupert, heir to apartheid-era billionaire Anton Rupert, and others claiming the family were dictating cabinet appointments to the government.

Mr Rupert himself faces allegations of blackmailing the government over December's appointment of Douglas Van Rooyen as finance minister, replacing Nhlanhla Nene in the post.

The resulting media frenzy then forced President Jacob Zuma to reverse his decision and appoint  establishment-approved veteran Pravin Gordhan to the post. 

Insinuations of a cosy relationship between the government and the Guptas have been made in the South African media since the family founded The New Age, the only pro-ANC paper in the country, challenging the established media barons.

The Guptas also saved 600 jobs in Britain's crisis-hit steel industry last December when they bought up part of the ailing Caparo business empire in the West Midlands.

Most popular

Sun-crossed haters endanger 220,000 lives

My stepmother Shanthie Naidoo and her sister Ramnie were on an overnight flight from Johannesburg to Heathrow for a speaking tour when Extinction Rebellion offshoot Heathrow Pause began wilfully endangering aircraft by flying drones over the airport this morning. Shanthie is an ANC struggle veteran who lived in exile in London from 1973 to 1993, apart from some time in the exile community in Mazimbu, Tanzania. She and all her immediate family were jailed by the Apartheid government for political reasons. Shanthie's late brother Indres did 10 years on Robben Island and later wrote the book 'Island in Chains'. Their grandfather Thembi Naidoo worked alongside Mohandas K Gandhi during the civil disobedience campaigns against the early form of Apartheid. Extinction Rebellion has chosen for its logo a variation on the 'sonnenkreuz', a symbol used by both proto-fascist neo-pagan organisations and modern neo-Nazis. Around 220,000 passengers fly in and out of Heathr...

The mystery of the Guanches

The origins and language of the indigenous people of the Canary Islands remain a mystery, writes Dr Sabina Goralski Filonov Translation by James Tweedie The guanches, the aboriginals of the Canary Islands whose origin, lost in the mists of time, still arouses intense and passionate debate and great controversy about their origins and the how the seven Canary Islands were populated – which according to some studies occurred between 10,000 and 8,000 years BC. Literally, the word ‘Guan’ means man or person and ‘Chenech’ or ‘Chinet’ is applied to the island of Tenerife, thus meaning a man or inhabitant of Tenerife – although according to Núñez de la Peña, the Spanish named them the Guanchos during the conquest of the islands. But with the passage of time, experts in the subject are questioning whether the word Guanche was used to designate the primitive inhabitants of all the islands in the pre-Hispanic period.  The term ‘Guanche’ has also ceased to be applied to the di...

Los Gigantes Beach Landslide Tragedy - Three Days of Mourning for Victims

SHATTERED IDYLL: Los Guios beach in Los Gigantes in happier times. SANTIAGO del Teide council declared three days of official mourning after two women were killed in a landslide on Los Gigantes beach on November 1. by James Tweedie The local authority announced the period of mourning following an emergency council meeting on Monday November 2, called in response to the tragic deaths of 57-year old British holidaymaker Marion O’Hara and 34-year old Canarian hotel worker Maria Vanesa Arias Romera. Flags at Santiago del Teide town hall were flown at half mast for the period of mourning, and all official functions observed a minute’s silence in memory of the victims. The two women were killed when 130-foot wide stretch of the cliffs above the tiny Los Guios beach collapsed from a height of about 200 feet, burying them beneath rubble up to 15 feet deep, according to a spokesman for the Guardia Civil which was conducting the investigation into the accident. The landslide occurred about 3pm ...

Brazilian bribers Odebrecht funded Venezuelan right

CORRUPT Brazilian construction giant Odebrecht funded opposition parties in Venezuela and elsewhere, its former CEO told Peruvian prosecutors on Wednesday. Marcelo Odebrecht told a hearing the corporation paid off the Venezuelan Democratic Unity Roundtable (MUD) coalition and other opposition parties across the continent to dissuade them from challenging corruptly-awarded contracts. “Our intention was to support many candidates of the opposition, even knowing that they would not be elected,” he said. “We supported them in some way because the opposition can also create problems.” “One way to create a network is through support,” Mr Odebrecht added. “The way to avoid the opposition was precisely to attend to its campaign needs.” Court documents show the corporation paid more than £70 million to Venezuelan “government officials and intermediaries” between 2006 and 2015. Last June former Odebrecht Venezuela director Euzenando Azevedo confessed to depositing money in a privat...

World People's Conference urges "new world order"

Delegates from across the developing world called for a “new world order” of peace and development in Bolivia last week. The final declaration of the World People's Conference in Tiquipaya, outside the central city of Cochabamba, said the “social property of natural resources” must be consolidated, the Bolivian Information Agency reported. Some 4,000 delegates from 43 countries on four continents attended the conference on Tuesday and Wednesday last week. They demanded the establishment of a “new international finance architecture” without multilateral organisations serving transnational capital. The declaration also called for “the building of true peace” — not only between nations but in social relations. “It is not only the inexistence of armed conflicts but also the overcoming of structural violence that translates to equitable access to wealth and development opportunities,” it read. It identified the principal causes of the current global crisis as: “Armed confli...