Skip to main content

Venezuelan opposition burn more men alive

A Venezuelan lorry driver died on Thursday after opposition thugs burned him and two others alive at a roadblock.

José Luis Bravo passed away at midday at the Coromoto Hospital in Maracaibo, the capital of western Zulia state after suffering third-degree burns on Wednesday.

He was riding in the passenger seat of the goods lorry when it ran into an illegal barricade and came under attack from looters throwing stones.

Before he died, Mr Bravo said: "We came across the barricade .. and those who had blocked the way began throwing stones at us to loot the truck and when we went in reverse, we hit the motorcycle."

“(The motorcyclist) lay injured on the road and then they threw Molotov bombs at us and set the truck on fire. The boy burned to death."

The motorcyclist was named as 20-year-old Luigin Paz. The name and condition of the lorry’s driver, also injured, was not reported.

State Governor Francisco Arias demanded via Twitter: “The opposition leadership in Zulia must speak out!”

The Democratic Unity Roundtable (Mud) coalition called for “national shutdown” on Wednesday as part of three months of protests and riots aimed at overthrowing President Nicolas Maduro.

The actions include blocking main roads, shutting down public transport networks and forcing shops to stay closed — exacerbating the shortages of food, medicines and other goods the opposition blame on the government.

On Thursday night rioters burned some 40 tons of food out of 100 at a government distribution centre in eastern Anzoategui state destined for distribution to hungry families.

On Tuesday Interior Minister Nestor Reverol said youth Giovanny Gonzalez was burned and stabbed by masked rioters in Caracas who thought we was a “Chavista” — a government supporter.

That mirrored the attack on Orlando Figuera, who died in hospital on June 4.

Last Saturday rioters inflicted third-degree burns on two young men, Henry Escalona and Wladimir Pena, who they mistook for Chavistas in Barquisimeto in Lara state.

On Thursday pro-opposition Attorney General Luisa Ortega charged former Bolivarian National Guard commander Antonio Benavides with human rights abuses, claiming police and troops were responsible for 23 or the 80-plus deaths so far and 853 injuries.

Meanwhile the Cuban Foreign Ministry slammed regional governments’ support for the Mud and failure to condemn its “terrorist and putschist acts.”

Most popular

US ratings agencies must choose South Africa's next president, says former minister

THE ANC's women's and youth leagues have slammed threats of a credit downgrade for South Africa if Vice-President Cyril Rampahosa is not anointed president. The the two structures, who support Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma for election as party president at next month's ANC congress, spoke out on Saturday after former minister Pravin Gordhan's comments to a meeting in Johannesburg's posh Sandton business district on Thursday night.  Mr Gordhan said: "If we support Ramaphosa I can guarantee you we will not see a downgrade.  "If we get that team going we have no worries about downgrades, we will see a change in growth." The ANC Women's League said it was "irresponsible, self-serving and advancing of narrow political agenda for any ANC leader to indirectly lobby for rating agencies to downgrade South Africa if his/her candidate does not emerge." And the Youth League said Mr Gordhan had made it clear "rating agencies are not apolitical and there a…

West misses Syrian airbases

Assad defies NATO after medical centre bombed Syrian President Bashar al-Assad says his country no longer fear NATO after Saturday's failed cruise missile attack by the combined forces of the western powers. Mr Assad told a visiting delegation of Russian MPs his country was “no longer afraid of NATO” after Syria's 30-year-old Russian-made air defences shot down around around 70 per cent of the incoming missiles, with no hits scored on military bases. “According to the president's point of view, this was aggression and we share this position,” State Duma member Sergei Zheleznyak said, according to Sputnik International. “He has highly appreciated Russian weapons, which showed supremacy over the arms of the aggressors.” The US, Britain and France claimed they hit a chemical weapons facility in the attack in the small hours of Saturday morning. But the Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA) reported the target was the Pharmaceutical and Chemical Industries Research Institute in Barzeh…

"Imperialist" EU follows US down Venezuela sanctions path

VENEZUELAN Foreign Minister Jorge Arreaza condemned the EU's “shameful” sanctioning of seven top officials on Monday as proof of Brussels' “subordination” to Washington.  Mr Arreaza said Venezuela rejected the measures imposed “in an illegal and unilateral manner,” which “violate the fundamental precepts of the UN Charter and are intended to exercise a gross interference in the internal affairs of our country.” He said the move indicated an “erratic and interventionist policy towards our country” which recalled the “colonialist manoeuvres of ancient empires, expelled from our America 200 years ago by the courage and freedom-loving will of our peoples.” The foreign minister said the “obsessive conduct towards Venzuela” was turning the EU into “an instrument at the service of the imperialist intents of the US government.” Earlier on Monday, unelected EU foreign affairs chief Federica Mogherini's office announced the sanctions, claiming the seven were "involved in the non-re…

Africa and West Indies stand with Venezuela

Caribbean and African nations stood firm with Venezuela on the front line against imperialism in Caracas on Saturday. 

The Todos Somos Venezuela (We are all Venezuela) solidarity conference broke up into workshops to debate a draft declaration condemning the US and other imperialist countries, the mainstream media war on the socialist government and demanding respect for Venezuela's sovereignty.

Caribbean nations, who played a leading role in organising the summit, stressed the deep cooperation between Venezuela and the West Indies launched by late president Hugo Chavez with the Alba regional bloc and the Petrocaribe programme to supply fuel at below market rates.

Earl Bousquet of the St Lucia Labour Party said: “Recent history has written another chapter in the relationship between Venezuela and the Caribbean that began 200 years ago, when revolutionaries from the English and French-speaking colonies came to offer their support” to the Venezuelan struggle for independence from Spain…

US: Trump adds Venezuela, DPRK and Chad to visa ban

US President Donald Trump signed a new travel ban on Monday, adding Venezuela, North Korea and Chad to the list.
Sudan was dropped from the original list of six countries slapped with US visa restrictions issued in March — dubbed the “Muslim ban” by Democratic Party opponents — joining Iraq which had been removed part way through the six-month decree.
The new list of countries made clear the restrictions were aimed at targets of US imperialism — on the pretext of non-cooperation on security checks or harbouring terrorists.

The original six nations on the ban, including Iran, Yemen, Libya and Somalia, were all originally suspended from the US visa waiver scheme for travellers by former president Barack Obama.

The restrictions on Venezuela apply only to government and security forces officials and not immigrants — exempting thousands of pro-opposition emigres flocking to Miami and other parts of the US.
With visitors from North Korea mostly limited to diplomatic staff — wh are exempt from th…